5-Star Ratings Get More Clicks
The old saying “You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar” still applies in our online world ruled by ratings and reviews.
Any business with positive reviews will catch more customers than one with negative reviews.
An average rating that is positive will generate good results but, is that good enough? What is the impact of 5-star reviews?
BrightLocal uncovered some compelling data in their annual Local Consumer Review Study about the impact of high ratings and positive reviews on click-through-rates.
5-Star Ratings Get More Clicks
The results are based on what BrightLocal found in Google search results and what is known as the Local 3-Pack, which is when you see three local company listings at the top of the page after performing a search.
Overall, the key finding is this:
“Having a 5-star rating earns a business 39% more clicks from Google Local than having a 1-star rating.”
In other words, if your Google My Business listing has 5-Stars, you will get 69% of the clicks when people search for your business category, product, or service.
What would you do with the extra revenue if you had:
- 39% more business than your competitors with 1-Star?
- 34% more business than your competitors with 2-Stars?
- 25% more business than your competitors with 3-Stars?
- 10% more business than your competitors with 4-Stars?
Interestingly enough, if you have no reviews (no star) you at least fare better (41% of clicks) than businesses with 1-Star (30% of clicks) and 2-Stars (35% of clicks).
The unknown looks better than people taking the time to leave negative 1-or-2-Star reviews.
Okay, Reviews Matter, but How do People Pick a Business from Search Results?
BrightLocal asked survey respondents a great question: “Why did you pick that result?”
We’ve preached to you that ratings and reviews matter, but here’s how they shape up compared to other variables:
If you needed confirmation on that impact that reputation management has for driving online leads: this is it.
This data suggests two important factors:
- Value: When you provide value and ask for a review, customers reward you with positive reviews that attract more customers.
- The Customer Wins: The customer makes an informed decision when choosing a highly rated business such as yourself and wins by receiving superior products and services.
More Stars = More Clicks
You don’t have to be an SEO or Google expert to understand that more stars equals more clicks.
A positive reputation is a boost to your search ranking, drives more leads, and builds brand trust.
Even if you don’t reach the holy grail of 5-Stars, improving your rating each step along the way will help:
- Raising Your Rating by 2 Stars = 25% More Clicks
- Going from a 3-star rating to a 5-star rating gets a business 25% more clicks from Google Local Pack
- Star Ratings displayed in Local Pack results generate higher CTR than organic search results
Consumers have a lot of choice these days and when they’re doing research on a product or service, their first stop is the internet.
What people say about you online does matter and it affects whether or not someone decides to click your link or call your number.
Customers are looking for someone that they can trust. Managing your ratings and reviews will help you stand head and shoulders above the competition.